July 26, 2009

Elijah Joseph Ervin... why this name?

Elijah Joseph Ervin

To be honest when we decided on Eli’s name we didn’t give the meaning a lot of thought. I knew his name was obviously a strong biblical name and had great meaning but throughout this pregnancy I haven’t specifically studied the life of Elijah. Today I skipped church and sent the rest of the family – I needed a moment of silence – of reflection – time with the Lord to be thankful for the baby boy he has placed inside of me and I will soon meet.

Elijah = “The Lord is my God”. I pray this is true for Eli – there will never be a day he does not understand there is a loving God. No matter where you go or what you do remember your name – The Lord is your God.

Joseph = “God will increase”. Joseph was chosen because my dad’s name is Joseph. I’ve always said if I had the opportunity to have a son I would name him after my dad. A great man of honor, full of love, humble spirit, and solid. I hope those same qualities for Eli. I also believe God has blessed our family with a son – another child to add to our family after many trials to get him here – so perfectly Joseph means God will add/increase. God has already shown his love and power by soon adding Eli to our family and we are thankful.

1 Kings 19: 11-12
“Elijah, come into my presence. I’m going to pass by. Then God revealed himself in a gentle whisper”.

We long for our children to be in the presence of God – to know Him fully - To understand His love and grace for their lives. Not only to be in His presence but also to hear His gentle whisper – to me the whisper is like a strong embrace by a loving God. I pray my children experience the “gentle whisper” of the Lord throughout their lives.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

So glad you had that time my friend...before the chaos begins! Elijah Joseph...the perfect name for the newest Ervin : ) Can't wait!